Birthdays come but once a year. Growing up my family always just had the family living at home, a cake, and our presents. If someone wasn't there it wasn't a big deal. As we got older and started leaving the nest, birthday cards or a simple phone call is what is considered normal. With Josh's family birthdays are a much bigger deal. Everyone that can come is invited. So each time one of the girls have a birthday we invite Josh's family over. It's fun to see their excitement and our girls excitement. As my kids get older I'll probably end up letting them have friends over and doing parites but for now, I'm simply content that it's just a small family gathering.
I decided to try my hand at decorating a cake that I could be proud of and that I could actually take a picture of without being totally embarrassed. So I got on pintrest and found a cake similar to this. The only difference is that I used sprees instead of those big colored mints witht the white dots on them (couldn't find any). I found a cake mix and chocolate frosting that didn't contain milk or butter products (Uncle Samuel is allergic to those types of things) and this is what it came out looking like.
I also made cupcakes because I wasn't sure we'd have enough. I used a yellow cake mix and frosted with chocolate frosting. Knew I should have made a homemade frosting so that Aunt Rachel could have had some (sorry Rachel, wasnt' thinking very clearly).
Those in attendance were Grandma & Grandpa Harmon, Aunt Melissa & Uncle Ben and their 3 kids, and the aunts and uncles who still live at home. We also invited our friends the Wilcox's over (they are in our ward and live in the same subdivision).
Kaylee was spoiled with the cupcakes, cake and presents. Here is a picture of her with her cupcake after we sang Happy Birthday.
Presents that she got included a cell phone, blocks in a wagon, a dolly with a cow (the cow scares her whenever she sets it off), soft blocks, books, and some stuffed animals. She also got her first birthday card from Grandma & Grandpa Brown that had a $2 bill in it (Each grandkid gets one for their birthday each year).
It was a great day and we were so lucky to celebrate it. Kaylee we love you and the joy you bring to our lives. You've grown so much already in this 1st year and we look forward to seeing you grow and become your very own person. We love you!
1 comment:
Aww what a sweetheart! Love the cake too! Happy Birthday Kaylee.
Post a Comment