So Josh and I got the shock of our life last week when we found out we are expecting. I've been having a lot of uti's and right side pain since the end of December so we've had a few ultrasounds done. At first they thought it was my kidney, and then my gallbladder, and then they just didn't know. I was going to go in for a VCUG to check for urinary reflux on Feb. 16th and decided I better take a test so that the office wouldn't charge me for one.
I just knew we were wasting our money on a pregnancy test, but would rather pay a cheaper amount for one. Much to my surprise it came out postive rather quickly (I'm talking less than a minute). I guess I should maybe listen a little more to Ashlyn when she's telling me something. For the last couple of weeks she's been telling me that I have a baby in my tummy. Of course I would laugh and then brush it off. I thought she was just saying it because she has heard us talk about friends and Aunt Jessica being pregnant. So who knows, maybe she'll be right about the gender to, she keeps telling me it's a baby brother.
I was so shocked to see the postitive test! I walked out to the living room a little after 5 a.m. where Josh was getting his workout in and showed him the test. He looked at it and asked me if I read the directions right. I had and even told him I read them several times to make sure.
A million questions went through our minds that day, like when did it happen?, how far along do we think we are?, why wouldn't the ultrasound done on at the end of December show anything?, who will we use as our doctor and where will we deliver?, etc.... The last time I tested was on Dec. 4th because I had to go to the doctor for another uti. We just couldn't believe it. We've always had to use clomid to get pregnant.
I of course can never hold out for the first 13 weeks before telling anyone so we let our family members know that day. Of course the regular questions came like are you feeling sick?, have you had any symptoms?,how far along?, how are you feeling about it?, etc.... The only real symptom I ever noticed was the nausea but we thought that was because of my increased thryoid medicine and the anitibiotics I'd been on for my uti's since that's when it started. It was only 2 days prior to testing that I started to get a sick feeling around the smell of meats. We had no clue how far along we were, but I was guessing where my test showed up so quickly that I was probably between 6-8 weeks (I've never gotten a positive prior to 5 1/2 weeks).
Once the initial shock wore off I was excited and nervous about having another c-section later this year and also the closeness in age between Kaylee and this baby (Kaylee's not even 1 yet).
So Friday, I spent the day calling around to the different hospitals and doctor's offices to get a feel on them and their prices. After looking over everything I decided to go with an Idaho Falls office and will deliver in Idaho Falls. I got my first ob appointment scheduled for Tuesday Feb. 21st and was so anxious for it to hurry and get it to know how far along we were.
So yesterday (2/21/12) I went to the dr's office. I called them earlier to confirm my appointment and they said that it was still good for 11 that morning. When we got there though they told me that my appoinment wasn't until the following Tuesday. As one can imagine I wasn't very happy but calmly explained that I had called earlier that morning to confirm and they told me it was today. I said I'd be happy to see any of the providers and explained that we came from Blackfoot and that Josh had taken off work for our appointment. Thankfully they were able to squeeze me in.
Once we got back into the room, the nurse did all the usual things (i.e. blood pressure, weight, asked about my medicial history etc...) then we waited for the ultrasound. When the tech was ready she came and got us and as we were walking down she was saying she was sorry it took so long, but she had been doing twins all morning and wasn't ruling me out until she got a good look. Of coures, I told her that I doubted it was twins and hoped that it wasn't twins. I just don't know how I would have wrapped my head around twins, especially where the pregnancy was such a surprise. She had a lot of patients to get to so she just did a regular ultrasound with the hopes I was far enough along. To our amazement, she told us we were already 11 weeks and 4 days. I can't believe that I didn't know I was pregnant for basically the whole first trimester. With both girls I was puking before this point and with Kaylee I was already in maternity clothes. It's kind of nice though to think that I'm almost done with the first trimester and it's been pretty easy, it makes facing the next two easier.
Our respective due date is September 7th-bad timing for archery hunting, sorry Josh,John and Max :).Here are the ultrasound pictures from the appointment. We will find out the gender in April.

2 comments:
Congratulations to the Harmon's! I can't believe that you're already 1/3 through already. It should be a breeze from here on out, right? =)
Thanks Bean. It's really nice to know that I've only got 1 more week and then I'm through a third of the pregnancy. Like my sister said this should be the fastest pregnancy I've experienced where I'm basically done with the 1st trimester. Hoping that the remainder is a breeze. Definitely feeling more prego now and started my psychotic dreams up now.
Post a Comment